This is lovely sweet dessert that we use to order in Chinese restaurants, unfortunately a lot of Chinese restaurants no longer sells Water Chestnut Pudding. We have resorted to making it at home. Traditionally, Water Chestnut Pudding doesn’t contain pieces of water chestnuts but for texture a lot of people enjoy it with it.
- Mix 227g water chestnut powder with 800ml of water, stir well and strain the mixture
- Bring 500ml of water to the boil and then add 5 sticks of sugar and stir till the sugar is dissolved. Pour this mixture with the water chestnut liquid and stir quickly
- Add 1 tablespoons of oil to this mixture and place it back on the hob and cook on a low heat, turn the heat off when the mixture slowly thickens. Keep stirring till the mixture is well combined
- Place the thicken mixture so it can be steamed over a high heat for 30 minutes. Cool thoroughly before cutting and let it chill before serving
- When serving, coat the pudding with corn starch and pan fry till golden brown.